Article 14 – Tax Deregistration
1. The Registrant must apply to the Authority for de-registration in accordance with the cases mentioned in the Decree-Law, within 20 business days of the occurrence of any of them.
2. The Authority shall accept a Registrant’s application for deregistration where the two following conditions are met:
- The Registrant stops making supplies referred to in Article 19 of the Decree-Law and does not expect to make any such supplies over the next 12-month period;
- The value of supplies referred to in Article 19 of the Decree-Law made, or taxable expenses incurred, by the Registrant over the previous 12-months is less than the Voluntary Registration Threshold and the Authority is satisfied that his supplies, according to the provisions of the Decree-Law, or taxable expenses, expected over the next 30 days, are not expected to exceed the Voluntary Registration Threshold.
3. If the deregistration application is approved, the Authority shall cancel the Tax Registration of the Registrant with effect from the last day of the Tax Period during which the Registrant has met the conditions for deregistration or from such other date as may be determined by the Authority.
4. Where the Authority is satisfied that the conditions in Clause 2 above are met, and the Registrant has not applied for deregistration, the Authority shall deregister the Registrant with effect from the last day of the Tax Period in which the Authority became satisfied that the conditions have been met or from any other date determined by the Authority.
5. A Registrant shall not be deregistered unless he has paid all Tax and Administrative Penalties due and filed all Tax Returns as due under the Decree-Law and the Federal Law No. 7 of 2017 on Tax Procedures.
6. For the purposes of Clause 5 of this Article, any Goods and Services forming part of the assets of Business carried on by a Registrant shall be deemed to be supplied by him at a time immediately before ceasing to be a Registrant, and any tax payable shall be included in the final tax return unless the Business is carried on by an appointed trustee in bankruptcy pursuant to the Federal Law No. 7 of 2017 on Tax Procedures.
7. Where a Registrant requests to be deregistered from Tax due to the reduction of his Taxable Supplies to less than the Mandatory Registration Threshold, the Authority will, if in agreement with the Registrant, cancel the Tax Registration with effect from:
- The date requested by the Registrant in the application; or
- The date on which the request is made if the Registrant did not indicate the preferred deregistration date.
8. Where the Authority has deregistered a Registrant from Tax, it shall notify that Registrant of the date on which deregistration takes effect within 10 business days of making the decision.